Custom Search

Monday, October 10, 2011

金華冰廳 Kam Wah Cafe, Hong Kong

I've been to Hong Kong quite often, I was there two years ago, this year March and more recently last month. Yet, there are still a lot of eateries that I haven't try yet like Tim Hau Wan Dim Sum, Mido Cafe, and Kam Wah Cafe. I've read some rave review about the polo bun in Kam Wah Cafe from KampungBoyCityGal and James. So, I decided that I must at least go to one of the eateries that I haven't try yet even though I have quite a busy schedule during my trip to Hong Kong last month.




I took the MTR from Tsim Sha Tsui to Mongkok station and exit through B3. Reading the direction from the Word document that I saved in my Nokia E7 is quite confusing because I don't have a compass to go Northbound. So what I do is cross over Mongkok Road using the pedestrian bridge. You'll be able to see Nathan Road just continue to walk along Nathan Road until you get to the first junction, turn right. You are now in Bute Street. Just walk straight and you'll see Kam Wah Cafe across the street. It's not hard to spot because their will be a lot of people queuing outside the eatery to buy freshly baked polo bun.




Obviously it will be packed but luckily I managed to get one seat sharing table with other customers. It's the norm in Hong Kong to share table in a "cha chan teng". Since I haven't have breakfast yet, so I ordered a daily set meal (HKD$30). Minced beef with raw egg rice which comes with pork ribs soup.




Set meal comes with a choice of hot drinks. So I ordered milk tea. The milk tea here is not too bad, their tea taste is stronger than I had in Lai Fong Yuen.




Of course I also ordered their famous 菠蘿油 (polo bun with butter) HKD$7. Coming to Kam Wah Cafe and not eating their polo bun is like visiting The Tavern in GAB Brewery and not drinking their Guinness Draught.





I know why their polo bun is so popular. It's crunchy on the top and so fluffy inside. On its own the bun has a bit of sweetness already. Eating it with butter in the middle lifted up the taste even more. Oh, they also have bun there which is also quite popular. I saw in an ATV's show that one of the secret ingredient in making this polo bun is that they use pork lard imported from Holland instead of using local pork lard. Food does taste better with pork lard eh?




Even though it's usually pack here but the turnaround is quite fast, so you don't have to wait too long for a seat.




If you are looking to explore Hong Kong food culture, then polo bun is one of the snack that you must try and Kam Wah Cafe makes one of the best polo bun in Hong Kong.





Address:

Kam Wah Cafe
G/F, 47 Bute Street, Prince Edward
Tel: +852 2392 6830

Other Ppl's View:

KampungBoyCityGal
Motormouth from Ipoh

0 comments :